TOOLS OF DIRECTING THE ACTOR
Weekend Master Class with Simon Phillips
Fri 28 November, 7-9pm
Sat 29 November, 10am-5pm
Sun 30 November 2014, 10am-5pm
|VENUE: ||Camden, London|
|BOOKING: ||See rate information below; concessions available.|
Have you ever felt that there was some secret knowledge about how to direct actors that successful directors weren't sharing?
are repeating Simon Phillips’ sell-out weekend Tools of Directing
The Actor - Master Class.
These ground-breaking techniques give directors their own unique methodology and bring new insight and clarity to the complex task of directing actors.
ABOUT SIMON PHILLIPS
PURPOSE OF THE COURSEThe great direction of actors is vital to getting performances that engage your audience. Directors need powerful tools to direct their actors effectively under the pressure of production and yet keep the performances fresh and true. The masterclass will give you experience of: applying practical tools, hands-on directing and being directed as an actor.
COURSE CONTENT• Reading the Script to Prepare to Direct
• Planning Specific Rehearsal
• Actor’s Personal Material
• Problem of Actors Directing Themselves
• 'Difficult' Actors and Actor’s Questions
• Character Motives
• Training and Exercises for Intimacy
• Problem of Actors Writing
• Essential Tools for Improvisation
• Non Actors and Kids' Problems
• Tools for Getting Actor Out of Role
WHAT SKILLS WILL I ACHIEVE?
• How to read a script to identify what will cause your actors problems on the set
• Rehearsal planning to quickly get the specific emotions you need
• How to speak to non actors to solve your problems
• How to avoid dictating to an actor and treating them like a puppet
• Spot when a star actor tests you & how to avoid them taking over directing
• Work effectively & quickly with character biographies that give you power over
• Know what material to give the A list actor to allow them to be truly creative
Because of the one-to-one nature of Simon’s work, places are very limited, so please book early to avoid disappointment.
| ||Rates |
|Concessions* :||£350.00 |
NFTS Graduates :
|* Concessions rate: Student/unwaged/OAP, Members of BAFTA, Directors UK, Equity, WFTV, WGGB,
There is a special rate for participants of previous Tools of Directing (Script/Camera) weekend courses
PREVIOUS TOOLS OF DIRECTING PARTICIPANTS
"The Master Class changed my view of the director's role and indeed more
usefully, the do's and DON'TS. It is interactive, practical, engaging and real. "
"What is most extraordinary is how, in a couple of hours,
you can forge new directing skills and outgrow redundant bad habits. Paradigm shifting, practical, clear, hands-on, fun, revelatory and exciting."
of Directing are concrete and not just anecdotes. The teacher is
perfect, with own personal experiences and solutions that made us really
think. All directors need this." |
Madeleine Ekman | Co-Producer THE HUNT (2012, Oscar Nominee 2014), MELANCHOLIA (2011), ANTICHRIST (2009)